We are a support group only.
We can not tell you how to homeschool or what curriculum to buy.
As a support group, members can only share with each other what works for them.
Each family is different and each family must decide on what works best for them.
1. Parents in all 50 states have the right by law to homeschool their children. Each family will have its own personal reason for choosing home schooling as the educational method for their children. Please contact HSLDA for info in other states.
2. In Texas, the law states: Home schools are considered private schools and must use a written curriculum covering math, reading, spelling, grammar, and a course in good citizenship and must be conducted in a bona fide manner.
3. Check out Texas Home School Coalition (THSC) for more information about what they do for homeschoolers.
4. FEAST for South Texas is a Regional organization that may be able to put you in touch with a local support group in your area or a local home schooler who is willing to talk to you.
5. Contact a support group in your area: Support groups are, as their name implies, for support. When the going gets tough, when you feel like you are the only one with this problem, support groups show you that you are not alone and its members have probably gone down that road before.
SACH is one local support group.
6.Research & Purchase your curriculum: There is a tremendous variety of materials from which to choose. You need to find materials that will work best for you and your lifestyle. Each parent is different and each child is different. What works for one child may not work for another. The curriculum you use the first year you may not use the next year. The longer you homeschool, the more you will be able to see what works and what doesn’t with you and with your child. Also having a budget will help in your choice of curriculum.
7. Withdrawal: If your child is enrolled in a public or private school now, you must withdraw your child from that school. A sample withdrawal letter is below. You are responsible for your child’s education immediately upon withdrawal, therefore, we recommend that you not withdraw your child until after you have purchased or ordered your curriculum or testing. Here is a sample letter to withdraw from public school.
Homeschooling In Texas
Easy Peasy Highschool
Sample Withdrawal Letter
[Your City, State Zip]
Principal [Full Name]
[City, State Zip]
Dear Mr(s). [Principal¹s Last Name]:
I am writing to notify you that I am withdrawing my child, [Child’s Name], from enrollment in the [School District Name] ISD, effective the date of this letter and will begin teaching [him, her] at this time.
If you have further questions, please submit them to me in writing at the above address.
This is a list of sites and blogs that have been helpful to us as homeschoolers. No one in our group is affiliated with the links below. These are in NO particular order.
The Home Scholar
Easy Peasy Homeschool
A Few Good Sites